Home > About your Council > What do Councillors do?


A town or parish council is an elected body in the first tier of local government set up to represent the interests of the whole community.

Councillors are elected by the local community primarily to decide how a council should carry out its various activities. They represent public interest as well as individuals living within the ward in which they have been elected to serve a term of office.

Councillors serving in Flitwick either represent the East or West wards of Flitwick, which are roughly divided by the railway line. Elections take place every four years with a new Town Mayor, Deputy Town Mayor and Chairs of Committees all elected by the Town Council at the annual meeting each May.

Any Councillor vacancies that arise mid-term are advertised on our website and publicised in Flitwick Papers, social media and noticeboards throughout the town.  Our Co-option Policy can be viewed here.

Councillors contribute to the work of the Town Council by suggesting ideas, influencing policy, engaging in constructive debate and by responding to the needs and views of the community. Councillors comment on proposals to ensure the best outcome and vote to enable the Council to make decisions.

Councillors have regular contact with the general public through council meetings, face to face and online surgeries, as well as at regular community events such as the Family Fun Day.

Town and parish councillors are elected representatives but are not paid a salary for their work. Flitwick Town Councillors do not receive any allowance other than the very occasional reimbursement of expenses such as mileage for attending external meetings or events representing the town. By law, all members of the Council are required to complete a declaration of interest form, the details of which are published online by Central Bedfordshire Council.

You can find out more about the role of a Town Councillor by visiting https://beacouncillor.co.uk/what-do-they-do/

Scroll to Top